Thursday, December 2, 2010

# Inferiority Complex--A Pernicious Trap

Updated on 6th June 2017


I don't know about you all but I at least have often felt that I am an imperfect and incompetent social misfit.I lack so many qualities which I yearn for and admire in others.Almost every human being that I come across appears to me to be smarter and more capable than me.That is why I often try to blend into the landscape.Believe me, it is not a transitory feeling.It has been with me ever since I can remember.

I used to be side-lined as a child while my siblings took center-stage.Even when I tried to assert myself my efforts came to a naught.  I thought that I was making more sense than others but nobody paid any heed. Perhaps I did not have the courage to assert myself vociferously. By and by I learned to keep my opinions to myself. What the heck! if they didn't want my views it was their loss. Slowly this built into a habit and became my personality trait.I came to believe that I was inferior to others.


Thus it was that I turned into a mouse whom nobody took seriously--not even I myself. But this was just a beginning, not the end. I did not realize then,but now when I look back, I realize that I lost so many opportunities just because of this shortcoming. You can call it an # Inferiority Complex if you like.

I would not attempt anything ambitious even though my I Q had been judged as genius grade. Firstly because I thought that I would not succeed;and secondly because I was afraid that I would make an even bigger spectacle of myself when I failed. The intelligence was there, hence I did achieve a modicum of success. But I realize now that I lost much much more than I attained.


All because of my own thinking which confined me to my hole. Rather a trap--a mouse--trap I should say.Who is at fault for all that I have lost?My parents,siblings,friends or teachers? NO! It was my own weakness.After all, I did succeed as far as I ventured. What stopped me from going further? My own mouse-trap! No one put me there. I myself built it around me. My pessimism and defeatism have cost me dear. If only I got a second chance I would show what I was capable of. But life doesn't work that way. So I try to make the best of my remaining years.


Having  journeyed through this hard terrain,I think I am qualified enough to write more about it.I exhort those of you who have shut yourselves in a mousetrap,to get out of it at the soonest without wasting any more time. Believe me, it is nothing more than a delusion. You are as good or as bad as the next person.Desist from shutting yourself in this prison of inferiority. Perhaps your formative years were such that you felt rejected and neglected. Gradually you began to believe that you were really not good enough to deserve anything better. This feeling was reinforced by subsequent experiences till it sank into your unconscious mind to chain you as it were. 


Once you realize that these bonds are fake and self-imposed what is there to hold you back? I agree wholeheartedly that it is not easy to shake off these shackles. They have become your identity,an armor behind which you feel safe and comfortable. You don't have to attempt anything big or taxing. Family and friends too, do not demand much from you because you are supposed to be inept and incompetent. So why give up this cozy arrangement, you may well ask. 


The decision is totally yours. It's true that the mouse-trap does give you protection,but at what cost? If you were to leave it's confines you would find another set of satisfactions waiting for you. Try it. After all, what is there to lose? You are already at the bottom of the ladder. You can only go up from there.That feeling of inferiority embedded in your unconscious mind is totally a self-imposed myth.Once you decide to get rid of these chains, replace them with an affirmation that you too,are as good as anyone else. 

When it comes to deciding who is superior or inferior,physical features don't count because many unattractive persons have made their mark at international levels.And if you talk of brains, then the average human operates much below his potential .Very often we dismiss a task as too tough,but if we set our mind to it,we are pleasantly surprised.We generally underestimate our capabilities.

If you want to get rid of your inferiority complex raise the bar bit by bit.List the tasks you think you are not good at.Undertake them one by one and gloat over your successes.Graduate to steeper levels.Your recent gains will fuel your confidence and you will no longer think of yourself as a loser.

Voila!You are no less than anyone else.Repeat this affirmation day in and day out, esp. when your mind and body are relaxed; like before going to bed and before leaving the bed in the morning. At these times your mind is most receptive and impressionable. This will take time to show results. But one fine morning you will realize that you are free of that wretched encumbrance known as Inferiority Complex and you will be free to roam the sky of all your aptitudes,abilities and aspirations. So leave the mouse-trap and fly high!

12 comments :

  1. pretty well said mam :)
    i liked it and i feel this one like a piece of zeal :)
    well said..
    but i feel few oddities.. IT IS NIT OUR WEAKNESS alone, i feel there are some impacts which made us to feel weak, that impact is purely external, up to a limit we can bear a load, beyond that we will crumble.. THAT LIMIT differs from people to people !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes DK u r very correct in your surmise...the various stimuli in our environment make us what v r ...some break through d barrier some cannot.

      Delete
  2. You are so correct in your observations. The first step to happiness and success is to get out of our own way. The limiting beliefs that we impose ourselves define the extent to which we set ourselves up for failure. Felt truly empowered and positive after reading this. Great post, Indu! Thanks for inspiring and encouraging us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. getting out of our own way---what a nice way to put it...thanx for your appreciation.

      Delete
  3. another brilliant post. external factors are there for everyone and we need to find a way to handle them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanx for your encouragement...glad u liked it.

      Delete
  4. As you say, "Strength is life, weakness is death". :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inferiority complex is really a mouse trap, build by the person himself! Ups and downs are a part of life and no body is born perfect. It is something like 'count your blessings'.

    Very thoughtful post, Mam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meenakshi i love the way you round up the whole issue in a couple of sentences...thanks a lot...love you!

      Delete
  6. It's like -- the way you think ,so you become...that's the reason ..speak positive ,think positive, stay positive...Each one of us is a blessed child of God and HE has bestowed unique qualities to all..We need to have a balanced approach and thinking towards ourselves and others....
    nice post Maám..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking positive is most important--everything follows from there.

      Delete

Thanks for reading.Do,give your feedback.